The Importance of Sports Physicals
July 18, 2016
It’s back to school next month, make sure you have your sports physical for the upcoming school year.
If your child participates in sports, it’s important for you to schedule an appointment for your child’s sports physical.
GOALS OF THE PREPARTICIPATION SPORTS EXAMINATION — The goals of the preparticipation sports examination are to:
- Maximize safe participation by children and adolescents
- Identify medical problems with risks of life-threatening complications during participation
- Identify conditions that require a treatment plan before or during participation
- Identify and rehabilitate old musculoskeletal injuries
- Identify and treat conditions that interfere with performance (eg, exercise-induced bronchospasm)
- Remove unnecessary restrictions on participation
It is a requirement according to the Alabama High School Athletic Association, “In order for a student to be eligible for interscholastic athletics, there must be on file in the Superintendent’s or Principal’s office a current physician’s statement certifying that the student has passed a physical exam, and the in opinion of the examining physician the student is fully able to participate in interscholastic athletics. The AHSAA Physicians Certificate should be used. A physical exam will satisfy the requirement for one calendar year from the date of the exam.”
Call today to schedule your child’s sports physical: Sylacauga: 256-208-0060 or Chelsea: 205-678-1286Next Post >>